July 2018’s mixtape track listing on Spotify and Apple Music:
1. Chequeless Reckless — FONTAINES D.C. (2018) 2. Hungry Ghost — Hurray for the Riff Raff (2017) 3. Reviews — Tancred (2018) 4. We Get High — Ashe (2018) 5. No Shoes — The Roches (2007) 6. Oom Sha La La — Haley Heynderickx (2017) 7. Life On the Line — The Raincoats (1979) 8. Static Age — BOYTOY (2018) 9. Love You So Bad — Ezra Furman (2018) 10. Well — Eef Barzelay (2006) 11. Armchairs — Andrew Bird (2007) 12. Say Yes — Big Deal (2016) 13. Evil — Interpol (2004) 14. She Knows — The Goon Sax (2018) 15. Los Angeles — Frank Black (1993) 16. Date Night — Father John Misty (2018) 17. Like Sugar — Chaka Khan (2018)
- I don’t know what’s happening.
- I have a later song by The Roches on the playlist, but you should head back into their earliest archives — the first two albums, The Roches and Nurds — when you can imagine them being bored sisters writing silly songs on long Saturday afternoons.
- Someone threw the planet into a blender.
- The opening screeches in The Raincoats’ “Life On the Line” makes me very happy. It’s perfect somehow without making logical sense to me.
- Some of us will be fine.
- Years ago I worked in a bookstore, and I swear that The Pixies came in and that Frank Black bought a Saskatchewan history book. The Pixies were playing in town that night (I went to see them), and the group of people who came into the bookstore looked suspiciously Pixies-like, but I was swooning a bit at the possibility, and I may have been a touch delusional. I like to think I sold Frank Black a local history book, because how likely is such convincing group Pixies drag, but I’ll never be sure, because I came up with the idea of group Pixies drag.
- Long, clear inhales and slow, relaxed exhales are vitamins for anxious brain tissue. I love you.
- CHAKA KHAN IS BACK.
This playlist is also published here.