This month’s mixtape is 1 hour and 19 minutes long and has 15 alternative, country, singer/songwriter, indie rock, rock, americana, and folk songs from 2 different decades.
October 2018’s mixtape track listing on Spotify and Apple Music:
1. A Perfect Miracle — Spiritualized (2018) 2. Goodnight Europe — Amber Arcades (2018) 3. Emmylou — First Aid Kit (2012) 4. Wouldn’t It Be Great? — Loretta Lynn (2018) 5. American Flowers — Birds of Chicago (2017) 6. All Out of Catastrophes — Marissa Nadler (2018) 7. Conditions — Squirrel Flower (2016) 8. Funeral Singers (feat. Collections of Colonies of Bees) — Sylvan Esso (2018) 9. Closest I Get — Katie Herzig (2011) 10. Stella — Mountain Man (2018) 11. Flying — Alejandro Escovedo (2018) 12. Go Now — Pascal Babare (2018) 13. Sometimes I Wanna Dance — Lonnie Holley (2018) 14. In Another Life — Sandro Perri (2018) 15. Never Going Back Again — Fleetwood Mac (1977)
- This month’s playlist is a lot less loud and, overall, it’s lighter in tone than last month’s.
- I needed it to be lighter and easier to listen to, because so much of the world is just shy of a literal trash fire at this point, and I’m having nightmares about being overwhelmed by hybrid bees that don’t die when they sting you.
- As well as listening to happier music, I’m also trying to send some kindness out into the world. It can only go inky dark if we let it, so I’ve re-upped my contributions to women entrepreneurs around the world through Kiva, I’ve been paying compliments to women and nonbinary people I don’t know — I thought it would be awkward, but people love hearing that something they’re doing is killing it — and I’m working at cultivating a gentler, kinder heart in general. Defensive argumentativeness might have become a default politically right now, but I don’t need to let the rest of my life sponge up that ick.
- I love you. I really do. I know this can only be in the abstract for the most part, but I’m feeling it, so harvest some of it and pay it forward. If love’s a hard one, just like someone a little extra for no reason. While we’re all figuring things out, we can at least make it hurt less along the way.
- This month’s playlist has got some pretty good stuff in it. Enjoy the music!
This playlist is also published here.