This month’s mixtape is 1 hour and 1 minute long and has 17 rock, alternative, pop, indie rock, punk, and electronic songs from 4 different decades.
September 2018’s mixtape track listing on Spotify and Apple Music:
1. Tokyo Bay — Nick Lowe (2018) 2. Miss You — Born Ruffians (2018) 3. All I Ever Wonder — St. Paul & the Broken Bones (2016) 4. Here It Comes (The Road) Let’s Go — Spiritualized (2018) 5. Revolution — Denise Hradecky (2009) 6. Baby — Helena Deland (2016) 7. Ginger Ale — Falcon Jane (2018) 8. A Sweet Transvestite With a Broken Nose — Exotic Adrian Street & the Pile Drivers (1986) 9. Insomnia — Wimps (2018) 10. Fine Slime — White Denim (2018) 11. Sun — Jacuzzi Boys (2015) 12. Teenage Toy — Insecure Men (2017) 13. Bridezilla — Mommy Long Legs (2018) 14. Don’t Leave It In Our Hands — The Essex Green (2018) 15. Miki Dora — Amen Dunes (2015) 16. Underwear — Pulp (1995) 17. Underwear — FM Belfast (2008)
- I’m feeling a little iffy about including a couple of songs on this playlist.
- The first song I’m feeling iffy about is Exotic Adrian Street & the Pile Drivers’ “A Sweet Transvestite With a Broken Nose”. I found it via Love + Radio’s podcast episode about Exotic Adrian Street’s boxing career, which seemed to partially rely on his transvestitism, which may or may not be sincere. Does his sincerity about wearing women’s clothing matter?
- The second song I’m feeling iffy about is Pulp’s “Underwear”, which came out in 1995. It came up again for me while I was having some kind of mid-90s nostalgia attack. Us 20-somethings in the 90s had this idea that we were a generally more enlightened generation, which seems to be the natural hubris of every 20-something group in any particular decade — Donald J. Trump was 21 during the Summer of Love, for god’s sake — but the 90s were clearly not enlightened when it came to the concept of consent. Here’s a sampling of “Underwear” lyrics:
You couldn’t stop it now
There’s no way to get out
He’s standing far too near
How the hell did you get here?
Semi-naked in someone else’s room
I’d give my whole life to see it
Just you stood there
Only in your underwear
Ick. Ick ick ick ick ick. It’s reminiscent of the gross dudes I knew and situations I was in, which aren’t great memories, but there it is, being all up in my nostalgic grill despite its setting the voyeuristic scene for some potential date-rapiness. And to think I used to think this song was romantic.
- White Denim’s “Fine Slime” is my second favourite song on this playlist. It’s best played LOUD.
- Mommy Long Legs’ “Bridezilla” is my most favourite thing right now. I play it very loud almost every day, and I like to scream the words when I’m sure my neighbours aren’t home.
- It’s weird that there was a band called Daddy Long Legs on my last mixtape.
- I don’t like the number six.
This playlist is also published here.